Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Lent

Hey guys, just wanted to share with you that I am giving up TV shows for Lent this year. That includes watching TV leisurely as well, especially watching sports highlights or games on television (I'm going to allow movies for now). To give you an idea of how this has consumed a lot of time in my life, below is a list of TV shows I was up to date with at one point in time since my JUNIOR year of high school:

Battlestar Galactica, 24, The Office, Friday Night Lights, House, Lost, Veronica Mars, The West Wing, Gilmore Girls, Heroes, One Tree Hill, Prison Break, Grey's Anatomy, Family Guy, The Unit, Las Vegas, Numb3rs, Bones, Eureka, Jericho, October Road.

Since then, I've given up at least 80% of these shows, however I still ended up spending 4-5 hours a week keeping up to date with my favorite ones.

One thing that I wanted to do was to watch each episode with a group of people from my floor every week, and during Fall Quarter, this happened quite a lot, which was great for community and to give each of us something to talk about. But since then, less people have joined me in my room to watch the weekly House episode or the Office episode, and I ended up watching these shows by myself.

So during ACCESS on Friday, I thought it would be a good idea to give up another facet of entertainment in my life (last year, it was video games and computer games).

During these 40 or so days, I hope to spend those hours I would've spent on a television show by meditating on the Lord and His Word. I also hope that after this Lenten season is over, that my focus on TV shows would greatly diminish, as well as the time I spend on them per week. Most of all, I want to redirect my desire for earthly things and possessions, and place that focus towards God, our LIFE group, people, studies, etc. Please pray for me during these times =).

1 comment:

Anna said...

Wow, that's a challenge. Good luck with that, I think you'll really learn a lot, and this will be good for you!!